In celebration of Karl Marx's 200th birthday, the History & Theory Workshop at the University of Virginia is hosting a conference of 4 panels to discuss the continuing relevance of Marx's writings to our world today. No invitation or ticket is required, anyone who is interested is welcome, and you are encouraged to come ready to ask questions and engage with both panelists and other attendees.
Monroe Hall 122, 12:30-5:15
Marx and Social Justice: 12:30-1:30
1. Anup Gampa (Psychology), “Implicit and Explicit Racial Attitudes Changed During Black Lives Matter"
2. Monica Blair (History), “Charlottesville's General Strike: Teaching Local Histories of Black Reconstruction.”
3. Gillet Rosenblith (History), "To Lose Your Housing is Double Jeopardy: Public Housing in the United States, 1969-2001"
Marx and Revolution: 1:30-2:50
1. Nick Scott (History), “Revolutionary Space: Cordon Industrial Vicuna Mackenna and the Chilean Road to Socialism, 1972-1973”
2. Crystal Luo (History), “Asian America and the Specter of Immigration Reform, 1968-1975.”
3. Abeer Saha (History), “Animal Factory: The Rise of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, 1945-2000.”
4. Gio Senzano, (Philosophy), “The Proletarization of the Puerto Rican”
Marx and Fascism: 3:00-4:00
1. Robert Stolz (History), “Tosaka Jun: The Uses and Abuses of Feudalism”
2. John Tiernan Low (History/Linguistics), “The Center's Tepid Friendship with the Alt-Right and its Historical Precedents”
3. Charles Hamilton (History), “Solidarity not Surrender: British Anti-Fascism Since 1970.”
Marx and Media: 4:10-5:10
1. Brooks Hefner (English, JMU), “Political Economy and Popular Culture”
2. Chris Ali (Media Studies), “Marx and the Study of Media policy: Methodologies and Expectations”
3. Justin McBrien (History), “Charlton Heston: Prophet of Eco-Apocalypse or Propagandist of Eco-Resilience?”
Keynote: English Faculty Lounge, Brooks Hall, 5:30-7:00
1. Matthew Garrett (Wesleyan University), “Reading Is Theft”
There is also a Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/events/594239410945080/